GKnight
Welcome To GKnight Forums

Please login or register to view more content.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

GKnight
Welcome To GKnight Forums

Please login or register to view more content.
GKnight
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zenkai Knights

5 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

what kind of modding system should i build

Zenkai Knights I_vote_lcap33%Zenkai Knights I_vote_rcap 33% 
[ 1 ]
Zenkai Knights I_vote_lcap67%Zenkai Knights I_vote_rcap 67% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 3

Poll closed

Zenkai Knights Empty Zenkai Knights

Post by InfinitasImpetum Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:27 pm

this is a game i started building so far i came to many issues when building it.  the game is suppose to be an alternative to windom xp

1 of the main issues is Modding. so i have started a poll.

more info about each options of the poll.
1. i design things based off of windom xp where i create a converter to the animation format. on runtime i build the mech and the animation.  this would mean no visual game editor etc.  so things may be much harder with this method and more work.

2. i use unity's own asset bundle system to bring in mods. this would be alot easier to deal with.  the formats will be dealt with in unity for conversion.  all that needs to be done is attach components and setup animation events.  (no scripting required)  you will need to grab a dll file that comes with the game containing the scripts. mech parts would be skinned onto bones. as for funnels you attach them in unity with a script that controls them. this was original method i was going to use. only issue is users will have to use there own animations unless i release the fbx file with animations ready to use with.

i do have work done for the game here is a vid showing off movement. though its not finished.

the vid is old and i replacing the mech with something i made myself. going to use kd-03 remake i did.
InfinitasImpetum
InfinitasImpetum
Exault
Exault

Honor : 25
Date of Admittance : 2014-05-30

Back to top Go down

Zenkai Knights Empty Re: Zenkai Knights

Post by Endymion Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:30 am

My vote goes for the second option, the reason is the game's main goal. It is dedicated to be a very moddable and a more stable environment to create not just more advanced Gundam mods, but also to make the development of the all-different mech themes possible. Not just the programing is more easier in the Unity's own environment, but starting with a general build is more flexible for the future mods.

Using Windom XP as base for first just force you to create a specific environment for that kind of mech alone.
Endymion
Endymion
Sergeant
Sergeant

Honor : 123
Date of Admittance : 2014-07-19
Affilations : Silver Millennium

Back to top Go down

Post by InfinitasImpetum Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:30 pm

I do have plans to limit somethings. example is i am programming all the scripts but making them as flexible as i can.  users will need no coding skills. just attach scripts and input some values.

the game is also being designed around a 360 controller.  there will be keyboard controls too.
InfinitasImpetum
InfinitasImpetum
Exault
Exault

Back to top Go down

Post by Endymion Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:41 pm

Oh, so this will be more like a platform for mods rather than a game that can be modded. Much like the Gery's Mod, you can just script what should happen and the game will do as much as it can. This is just even more reason then.

Anyway as far as I know Unity's debug window have option to remap the keyboard (hold down the shift when running an Unity game), I guess it can't be disabled.
Endymion
Endymion
Sergeant
Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by InfinitasImpetum Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:01 pm

projectiles i am going to have behave more like extreme vs projectiles where they strafe slightly towards the target instead of how windom xp does it with curving.  i may though present a secondary script to have things behave like ukwxp if users desire.

i am using my kd-03 remake as a test mech.
InfinitasImpetum
InfinitasImpetum
Exault
Exault

Back to top Go down

Post by Endymion Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:43 am

Or use the SoulSaber 2's method. It is a more advanced version of the aging Gundam vs. mechanism, combining the classic Virtual-On with the standard lock-on. The projectiles have no homing ability (except the homing weapons), however you can tune the aim by controlling the camera separately from the unit movement. It is harder to play like this, but also makes the weapons more effective without altering their movement. The projectile speed is also a way more faster.
Endymion
Endymion
Sergeant
Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by InfinitasImpetum Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:30 am

Endymion wrote:Or use the SoulSaber 2's method. It is a more advanced version of the aging Gundam vs. mechanism, combining the classic Virtual-On with the standard lock-on. The projectiles have no homing ability (except the homing weapons), however you can tune the aim by controlling the camera separately from the unit movement. It is harder to play like this, but also makes the weapons more effective without altering their movement. The projectile speed is also a way more faster.

not going to do that. the game is meant to be easy to get into and not to difficult to play.
InfinitasImpetum
InfinitasImpetum
Exault
Exault

Back to top Go down

Post by Endymion Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:16 pm

I see. Good luck with the project. Smile
Endymion
Endymion
Sergeant
Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by InfinitasImpetum Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:23 pm

Some Features planned:
light weight ui (armor,boost and energy will be shown on screen)
2 types of mechs static and build. static can not be modified in game. build is a mech that has parts that can be exchanged through external means.
build mechs will have a special menu where you create presets.

not all feature will be in. build mechs might be a feature cancel or saved for a sequel.
InfinitasImpetum
InfinitasImpetum
Exault
Exault

Back to top Go down

Post by Endymion Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:32 am

Well, the most important thing is to make the core work flawlessly. Even with one mech if the game works the modders can start developing. Of course times to times they have to adjust their mods to work with a newer version after a critical change, but this happened also with Windom XP.
Endymion
Endymion
Sergeant
Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by InfinitasImpetum Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:42 pm

Arm aiming is going to be the most difficult part.
InfinitasImpetum
InfinitasImpetum
Exault
Exault

Back to top Go down

Post by Endymion Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:21 pm

At least you know what you're doing. I can't even change the textures lol.
Endymion
Endymion
Sergeant
Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by InfinitasImpetum Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:33 pm

well, i got the arm aiming working somewhat. its now a matter of getting things working fully as i want.
InfinitasImpetum
InfinitasImpetum
Exault
Exault

Back to top Go down

Post by PureEvil Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:06 pm

do you plan on arm aiming only ? or with other part such as cannon on shoulder ?
PureEvil
PureEvil
Destiny
Destiny

Honor : 62
Date of Admittance : 2014-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by InfinitasImpetum Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:24 am

PureEvil wrote:do you plan on arm aiming only ? or with other part such as cannon on shoulder ?
i can adapt the code to work with other things.  though arm aiming is what i need first.

i am using a forward kinematic system for the aiming.
InfinitasImpetum
InfinitasImpetum
Exault
Exault

Back to top Go down

Post by InfinitasImpetum Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:49 pm

Same code to aim the arm is working the cannon too.
InfinitasImpetum
InfinitasImpetum
Exault
Exault

Back to top Go down

Post by Endymion Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:37 am

Looks good, nice work. Does it have any limitation for preventing unnatural movements? for example moving the target behind the unit where his arm would move through his own body to maintain the aim.
Endymion
Endymion
Sergeant
Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by InfinitasImpetum Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:55 am

Endymion wrote:Looks good, nice work. Does it have any limitation for preventing unnatural movements? for example moving the target behind the unit where his arm would move through his own body to maintain the aim.

nope, going to code that in next.
InfinitasImpetum
InfinitasImpetum
Exault
Exault

Back to top Go down

Post by Endymion Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:17 pm

Okay, you're working hard on this game. Smile
Endymion
Endymion
Sergeant
Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by PureEvil Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:03 pm

windom only have 4 aiming code & 2 of them only understand vertical aiming while the other 2 only understand horizontal aiming which is too limited if you want to make unique aiming such as funnel or assist that can do auto aiming.
PureEvil
PureEvil
Destiny
Destiny

Honor : 62
Date of Admittance : 2014-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by InfinitasImpetum Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:19 am

so when designing this game i thought of making it 1v1 only and focus on giving it an AI that self adapts to the player.  i might go with gundam vs standard for amount of mechs on the field 4 mech instead.
InfinitasImpetum
InfinitasImpetum
Exault
Exault

Back to top Go down

Post by InfinitasImpetum Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:22 am

Controls :
Primary Attack
Secondary Attack
Target
Boost/Jump
Sub Attack
guard
Boost up
Boost down
directional buttons or analog stick.

Sub Attack button does nothing unless you press in combination with another key. this is basically like how xenoverse does super attacks. reason for this is to free up some buttons on a controller. this also expands the sub attacks to 4 instead of 3 like in windom xp.

there will not be 0g do to conflicts in design. you may think why there is a boost up and down. its to improve movement when in air. boost guage will be extended though to be much longer than it is in gundam vs games and windom xp.

InfinitasImpetum
InfinitasImpetum
Exault
Exault

Back to top Go down

Post by Endymion Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:19 pm

The controls looks good, it is exactly how it works in SoulSaber 2. Isn't problem if there is less sub attacks since a lot would just copy an another with altered damage and such. In Windom XP a lot of attacks wasn't used, or only very rarely or depending on the opponent's unit.

However the boost gauge may be troublesome to balance out. If they can fly too much it will led to normal attack spam rather than strategical movements. Zone of The Enders is a great example. In vs. mod the faster units or the one that can fire with less speed lose easily dominate doesn't matter how weak they are.
Endymion
Endymion
Sergeant
Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by InfinitasImpetum Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:09 am

boost shoould be double maybe triple that of windom xp for arcade . the goal is to allow for longer and improved air combat.  also the game will allow you to set the boost amount before a versus match like in gundam vs games. so if its too much anyone can reduce it.

i got the limitations to work on the arm aiming. though there is one part that seems to not be limiting but for the most part its not a big issue. going to refine it and add the waist and some twisting of upperarm. after that i will do a vid update then go to getting a firing animation coded into the script or wait until i get the firing animation for the vid.
InfinitasImpetum
InfinitasImpetum
Exault
Exault

Back to top Go down

Post by Endymion Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:18 pm

I see and it is definitelly good for singleplayer, but the multiplayer balance is a total different thing. In Windom XP the heavier units have around 4 second constant boost (the specialized ones have even more) no matter how they fly. In combat situation this is enough to constantly evade 8-10 shots depending on your altitude and the attack's angle. There is an option to increase the boost amount, and if you just double it, it means the Windom 2000 SP1 easily kill anything without landing.

More boost could work only if all the units have the same amount of high boost but then it will be like a "hadoken hadoken hadoken, jump jump jump" style fight rendering every non primary attack useless. But of course this only matters if the game meant for competitive multiplayer, with only 2-4 mechs per map.
Endymion
Endymion
Sergeant
Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down